Splash out for a great cause at UNSW Fitness and Aquatic Centre
As a centre managed by the YMCA NSW, the UNSW Fitness and Aquatic Centre looks to support and provide access to those in the community who may need short term assistance getting back on track, are having a tough time, or may have long term disabilities.
One of the fantastic programs we run through our connection with the YMCA NSW is YMCA Swimability. Swimability is designed to offer children who have a mental or physical disability the chance to undertake swimming lessons and learn important water safety skills.
The YMCA Swimathon, held on 5 March, will see sites across Australia come together to host events that give us the opportunity to raise funds in order to:
• Provide our teachers with qualifications for Swimability
• Allows us to buy special equipment for the program
• Provides us the chance to assist parents with their fees for the swimming lessons for their children.
All funds raised by local centres for YMCA Swimathon goes back to the local centre, so that means that by donating to our centres YMCA Swimathon efforts, you can be sure that the money raised will be going back to people with disability who attend the UNSW Fitness and Aquatic Centre.
In our case, we want to be able to run the YMCA Swimabilty program at UNSW Fitness and Aquatic Centre from term 3 onwards. This will only be possible however is through your support in making our YMCA Swimathon the most successful one yet.
“How can I help” I hear you say? “What are we doing as a Centre so that I can pitch in?” Please read below….
Target - Our goal here at UNSW Fitness and Aquatic Centre is to raise $3,500
1) Register yourself! - Be part of the UNSW Swimathon team and get family and friends to help you reach your personal target. You may give yourself a goal of swimming 20 laps on the day, or if you’re not a pool person try 100 push ups! You don’t even have to do an activity, just raise money because it goes directly into the program. The idea is to have some fun while raising funds at the same time. To register, please see the link below to join TEAM UNSW.
If you prefer not to register, but would like to donate, please see the link below where you can help us reach our target. Remember every dollar counts!
You can also get your friends and family to help out by sharing the links above through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat and email.
2) Support our Saturday March 4th Bake Sale – As Saturday is the busiest day for our Learn to Swim programme, we are going to have a bake sale where anyone can purchase baked goods, with all proceeds going to the Swimathon. WE NEED YOUR HELP! In order to make this a success, I'd ask you buy a cake or a slice and help support our efforts,
3) Raffle – We are raffling off a family pass to Taronga Zoo. Tickets will be available from our pool deck supervisors and also at reception. Tickets are $5 each or 3 for $10. These will available from this Friday through to 5 March for anyone to purchase.
4) Colouring Competition - We have a colouring competition for kids where we ask for a gold coin donation to enter. Prizes will be given for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each age group including goggles, hats, sunscreen, stickers and other cool items for the kids. From today until 5 March you can see the colouring-in entries and prizes on display in the corridor to the pool hall.
5) Merchandise – Why not stay sun-safe during this heatwave with a Swimathon hat. These along with swimming caps are available from reception for just $10. All money raised goes to the Swimathon.
6) Swim Laps – On the YMCA Swimathon event day - Sunday 5 March, our centre will have lanes open from 9.30-10.30am for you to swim laps to raise funds so that people with disability can enjoy the water safely.